India, from history to progress
The 9th edition of Summer Courses on India, largely sponsored by the Government of India, was organized at the University of Complutense by Institute of Indology. The courses, which have taken place every 2 years since 1999, have contributed to the dissemination of information about Indian culture, history, philosophy, religions, arts, literature, geography and so on in Spain.
This yearâs edition was titled âIndia: From History to Progressâ and was held from 22nd to 26th July, 2013 at the El Escorial campus of the Complutense University. Ambassador delivered the inaugural address on 22nd July, in which he highlighted the salient points in the philosophical, historical and cultural development of India.
Over five days of the course, following talks were organized:
- The Fundamental Rights in India (Mr. Rafael Iruzubieta Fernandez, Lawyer and Founder of the Instituto de IndologÃa)
- The Role of Women in Current India (Ms. Alka Jaspal, Director of Papeles de India, ICCR, New Delhi.
- The Classical Sources of Indian Philosophy (Mr. Juan Arnau Navarro, Researcher at CSIC and Indologist)
- Â Trends of Current Art in India (Ms. Blanca GarcÃa Vega, University of Valladolid, Instituto de IndologÃa)
- Intercultural Tensions --Anatomy of Passage to India, by E. M. Forster (Mr. Pedro Carrero Eras, President of the Instituto de IndologÃa).
- Contributions from India to the West (Mr. Enrique GalÃud Jardief, Indologist and writer)
- International Relations of India (Mr. RamÃ³n-MarÃa Moreno GonzÃ¡lez, Diplomat and Director of Casa Asia)
- Positioning of India in the Globalised Economy (Mr. Pradeep Bhargava, Economist, business consultant and writer).
Also, Round Tables were held on:
- The Caste System (Main speaker: Mr.AgustÃn PÃ¡niker Vilaplana, Director of the Editorial KairÃ³s publishing house and writer).
- The Hindu Religion (Main speaker: Mr. Javier Ruiz CalderÃ³n, philosopher and indologist)
- The Pundits: Indian collaborators Serving the British Empire (Main speaker: Mr.Jules Stewart, journalist and writer)
- Geography of India: the Other Indian Mountains (Main speaker: Mr.Juan Luis Salcedo Miranda, journalist and mountain climber.)
Ambassador of India, with other dignitaries after the Inaugural Session
Participants in the course along with guest speakers and the organizers