Revised Indian Community Welfare Fund (ICWF)
1. The Indian Community Welfare Fund (ICWF) is instituted under the guidelines of the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs, Government of India. The fund is aimed at providing ‘on site' welfare services on a means tested basis in the most deserving cases such as:
- Boarding and lodging for distressed Overseas Indian workers in Household domestic sectors and unskilled labourers;
- Extending emergency medical care to the Overseas Indians in need;
- Providing air passage to stranded Overseas Indians in need;
- Providing initial legal assistance to the Overseas Indians in deserving cases;
- Expenditure on incidentals and for airlifting the mortal remains to India or local cremation burial of the deceased Overseas Indians in such cases where the sponsor is unable or unwilling to do so as per the contract and the family is unable to meet the cost; 2
- Providing the payment of penalties in respect of Indian nationals for illegal stay in the host country where prima facie the worker is not at fault;
- Providing the payment of small fines/penalties for the release of Indian nationals in detention centre;
- Providing support to local Overseas Indian Associations to establish Overseas Indian Community Centers in countries that have population of Overseas Indians exceeding 1,00,000; and
- Providing support to start and run Overseas Indian Community based student welfare centers in Countries that have more -than 20,000 Indian students presence.
2. Overseas Indian workers duped by unscrupulous intermediaries in host countries, runaway housemaids, victims of accidents, deserted spouses of overseas Indians or undocumented overseas Indian workers in need of emergen cy assistance or any other overseas Indian citizens who are in distress are intended to be the main beneficiaries of the Fund.
3. The Fund is utilized only where the concerned overseas Indian citizen is not able to meet the expenditure for any of the purposes specified above. All necessary details have to be furnished to the Indian Mission. For this purpose, Consular Wing of the Mission can be contacted.Top