Embassy of India
May 21, 2009
As per the Passports Act 1967, it is mandatory for all Indian passport holders to surrender their passports to the nearest Indian Mission/Post immediately after acquisition of foreign nationality. Misuse of Indian passports constitutes an offence under Section 12(1A) of the Passports Act 1967.
2. The Embassy will not be in a position to render services like OCI, PIO cards, Visa until the Indian passport has been duly surrendered on acquisition of foreign nationality.
3. The form for miscellaneous services already available on our website (passportandrelatedservices.pdf) can be used for surrendering the Indian passport (option 8 - Misc. Services) with a fee of Euros 25/-. The form must be accompanied by a covering note clearly stating the date of acquisition of Spanish (or any other foreign) nationality.
4. All applications for OCI/PIO Card and Indian visa should be accompanied by a Surrender Certificate obtained as above, or an affidavit confirming the status of the Indian passport previously held and details of any journey(s) that may have been undertaken on the Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality.
5. Please be informed that a penalty as per details given below would be imposed for non-surrender of Indian passport after acquiring a foreign passport and travel on the Indian passport thereafter.
|1.||Passport not surrendered up to three years and not used for travel after obtaining foreign passport.||No penalty||-|
|2.||Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled once after obtaining foreign passport.||No penalty for retention of passport but penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for travel on Indian passport||12(1A)|
|3.||Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled more than once after obtaining foreign passport.||No penalty for retention of passport but penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-)||12(1A)|
|4.||Passport not surrendered for over three years and used for travel after obtaining foreign passport||Penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for retention of passport and penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-).||12(1A)|
|5.||Renewal/re-issue of Indian passport and travelling on it after acquiring foreign nationality||(i) Rs. 25,000/- for each renewal/re-issue and, (ii) Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-)||12(1A)|
6. A grace period of three months is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on an Indian Passport. Therefore, no penalty will be leviable for travel on an Indian passport within three months of acquisition of a foreign passport.
Second Secretary (Consular)